The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 apply in England and Wales. These national regulations set legal requirements for the design, installation, operation and maintenance of plumbing systems, water fittings and water-using appliances within the boundary of a residential or commercial property. They apply to all water pipes, water fittings, appliances that use water an all other plumbing within the property. The purpose of the regulations is to prevent waste, misuse, undue consumption, erroneous measurement of water and, most importantly to prevent contamination to the water supply.
As a clean water company, we have a legal duty to ensure the regulations are followed. Our enforcement policy sets our exactly how we challenge those that do not comply.
Water companies are legally responsible for enforcing the regulations by carrying out inspections of new and some existing installations.
Find out more from Water Regs UK.
To answer any queries you may have, take a look at our useful factsheets below.
It's worth considering a replacement supply connection, even if you are just renovating an old house. If you are replacing a lead supply pipe, we will usually replace the section from our mains to the property boundary free of charge. Please read our lead factsheet for more details.
It is important that these systems are fitted correctly to ensure they will work as expected, whilst protecting the drinking water supply from contamination. Read our installation of fire sprinklers factsheet for more information.
Rainwater harvesting and grey water
Rainwater harvesting and water re-use systems need to be well-designed as well as being installed and maintained by those who are competent to do so.
- Fact Sheet _Campsites Caravan Parks Static Homes (486KB)
- Fact Sheet _Contamination Protection of Water Supplies (208KB)
- Fact Sheet _Field Trough Supply (247KB)
- Fact Sheet _Installation Ducting and Capping (323KB)
- Fact Sheet _Insuduct Installation Instructions (294KB)
- Fact Sheet _Multiple Occupancy Dwellings (569KB)
- Fact Sheet _Outdoor Drinking Water Fountain (155KB)
- Fact Sheet _Plumbing in Domestic Properties (566KB)
- Fact Sheet _RPZ Valve (232KB)
- Fact Sheet _Standpipes (343KB)
- Fact Sheet Building Water Supply for Construction Sites (599KB)
- Shared Supplies (183KB)