Need help paying your water bill?

We have a number of payment support schemes available

Find out more

Notification of proposed works

Notification of proposed works 

Notification of proposed work to plumbing systems


Under the regulations, you must let us know before you begin working on the categories of work listed below.

We will advise you within ten working days whether we give consent, or if there are conditions on which consent is granted. In some cases, additional information may be needed. We will not withhold consent unreasonably.


Categories of work which require notification of proposed work:

 1. The erection of a building or other structure, not being a pond or swimming pool.

  2. The extension or alteration of a water system on any premises other than a house*.

  3. A material change of use of any premises.

4. The installation of - 

(a) a bath having a capacity, as measured to the centre line of overflow, of more than 230 litres;
(b) bidet with an ascending spray or flexible hose*;
(c) a shower unit with more than one showerhead within a single unit, not being a drench shower installed for reasons of safety or health, connected directly or indirectly to a supply pipe;
(d) a pump or booster drawing more than 12 litres per minute, connected directly or indirectly to a supply pipe;
(e) a unit which incorporates reverse osmosis;
(f) a water treatment unit which produces a waste water discharge or which requires the use of water for regeneration or cleaning;
(g) a reduced pressure zone valve assembly or other mechanical device for protection against a fluid which is in fluid category 4 or 5*; (Please see our factsheet)
(h) a garden watering system unless designed to be operated by hand; or
(i) any water system laid outside a building and either less than 750mm or more than 1350mm below ground level.

 5. The construction of a pond or swimming pool with a capacity greater than 10,000 litres which is designed to be replenished by automatic means and is to be filled with water supplied by a water undertaker.

* This type of work does not require prior notification if you are using an approved contractor under the Water Industry Approved Plumbers Scheme.

To notify us of proposed work to plumbing, complete this form. 


Read our RPZ factsheet.




Useful information