We’re currently experiencing an issue with our Water Support online form. Please call us on 01737 785606 if you want to apply. For all other queries, please visit our Contact Us page.

Contact us

Protect your pipes

Protect your pipes

A sudden drop in temperature can wreak havoc with water pipes, particularly pipes that are fully exposed to the elements! A burst water pipe in your property will not only leave you without water but also a hefty bill to repair the damage too.

So here are some helpful tips to help:

  • Make sure your water tanks and pipes are well insulated and there are no gaps in the lagging at bends, valves or fittings
  • Pay special attention to water tanks and pipes in unheated areas like loft spaces and garages
  • Fix dripping taps – even a small trickle can result in a frozen pipe
  • Find your property’s internal stopcock and make sure you can turn it off – most stopcocks are fitted under the kitchen sink and shut off by turning clockwise. You can watch a short video on to locate your stopcock on WaterSafe's website.
  • Minimise draughts from outside and close doors and windows to unheated parts of your property
  • Ask a friend or neighbour to check your property regularly if you are away
  • If a property is going to be unoccupied for long periods, turn off the water at the stopcock and consider draining down the system so there is no water left in the pipes

If a pipe freezes

  • Turn off the water supply at the stopcock
  • Check to see if the pipe has burst
  • Slowly thaw the pipe with hot water bottles or a towel soaked in hot water, starting at the end nearest to the tap – you could also use a hairdryer on a low setting but never use a naked flame or blowtorch
  • Don’t leave taps dripping or running as the water may not drain down the plughole if the pipe below is frozen

If a pipe bursts

  • Turn off the stopcock and boiler
  • Open all taps to drain the system quickly
  • Soak up/block off escaping water with thick towels
  • Call a qualified plumber. To find your nearest WaterSafe accredited plumber visit watersafe.org.uk
  • If water has leaked near your electrics or into any electrical appliances, switch them off at the mains
  • Turn off taps once the pipework is repaired to avoid further flooding